In order to make your goals a reality, you need the right mindset. Heading into 2022 I want to help you have your best year yet so that means getting into gear now – it’s time to walk you through how to gain momentum in the New Year and focus on what matters most by making some adjustments for success.
Keep reading this post if you fall into one of these…
- Keep chasing the next goal or achievement but find it never brings lasting joy or fulfillment… and you know there’s got to be more to life
- You’ve already achieved your “someday goals” you set years ago… but still not as happy and fulfilled as you thought you’d be
- OR… you feel like you’re working your butt off but not getting closer to your ultimate goals (or your goals keep shifting)
- Every year you have the same goals you set, then re-set… and have thought “Maybe I should aim lower” or “Maybe it’s just too hard for me”
- You want a better system for setting and achieving goals that sets you up for success in the new year
- You dip into “Entrepreneurs Funk” but don’t know how to get out
- You’ve been grinding for months (maybe years) and things just don’t seem to be breaking through for you…
- Start each day feeling overwhelmed at everything you have to do and the little time you have to do it
- You keep hitting up against a wall and can’t crack through to reach your
Vision for “success” and are getting discouraged…
- You want to find ways to create more happiness and joy in life and business
Before you dive into this post … here is your chance to WATCH the replay “Make 2022 Your Best Year Yet!”
My Process For 2022 Planning to Achieve Laser-Focused Results
My 5 biggest learnings/mindset shifts of 2021
- Gap vs. Gain
- The Work IS The Reward
- Don’t run from the problem, grow into the solution
- Creating Magical Moments / Life Resume (thanks Jesse!)
- Thinking In Longer Time Horizons
3 Key Resources In Our Lives (and how to protect them in 2022)
Planning An Epic 2022
- My NEW for 2022 Personal Planning Template + My 1 Page Business Plan (Watch the replay for in-depth information)
- The G.R.O.W. model to transform your planning
Part 1 – My 5 biggest learnings and mindset shifts of 2021
1) The Gap vs. The Gain
“When you’re in the gap, despite growing success… happiness and security will never be yours because the GAP mindset eventually stops growth altogether”
The Gap vs. The Gain
Most people, especially highly ambitious people, are unhappy because of how they measure their progress. We all have an “ideal,” a moving target that is always out of reach. When we measure ourselves against that ideal, we’re in “the GAP.” However, when we measure ourselves against our previous selves, we’re in “the GAIN.”
2 things are needed to create a healthy gap…
- A clear vision for where you’d love to go
- Clarity on where you are now
The GAP and the GAIN concept was developed by legendary entrepreneur coach Dan Sullivan and is based on his work with tens of thousands of successful entrepreneurs. Dan’s coaching clients periodically took stock of their accomplishments both personally and professionally, they are often shocked at how much they actually achieved. They weren’t able to appreciate their progress because no matter how much they were getting done, they were usually measuring themselves against their ideals or goals.
In his book, “The Gap and The Gain: The High Achievers’ Guide to Happiness, Confidence, and Success“, you learn that measuring your current self vs. your former self has enormous psychological benefits. That’s really the key to this deceptively simple yet multi-layered concept that will have you feeling good, feeling grateful, and feeling like you are making progress even when times are tough. Which will in turn bolster your motivation, confidence, and future success.
If you’re finding that happiness eludes you no matter how much you’ve achieved, then learning this easy mindset shift will set you on a life-changing path to greater fulfillment and success.
2) The Work IS The Reward
Life is work. But not just life… really living life.
Growth is work. Change is work.
Anything worth having or doing takes work. And it takes lots of it.
Simply existing takes little work. It carries with it a meaningless and miserable feeling.
If you’re not willing to work, then you’re either lost in illusion, you’re lazy, or you just don’t get it.
Joy and fulfillment come from action. Neither exists without it.
Get to work!
3) Don’t Run From The Problem, Grow Into The Solution
The reason you may not have the business of your dreams today is that you’re not capable of running it right now.
The “Rule of 3 and 10”
“Everything breaks at multiples of 3 and powers of 10”
- Decision making
- How you schedule meetings
- Business systems
- Leadership structure
4) Create More Magical Moments
“Perfect moments more often make time stretch out and the years become more fruitful. Time slows down, senses arouse, everything in those moments is just right. These moments are what make life sweet. Busyness makes having perfect moments hard. Examples, a shared glance, letters to loved ones, phone calls, walks in the park, fabulous meals, and intimate conversations.”
Let’s show this visually…
This is human life in 90 years:
And, a 90-Year Life in Months:
And, in weeks. How are you going to choose to spend your time?
… Are you using your time wisely?
5) Think In Longer Time Horizons
How Much Of Your Schedule Reflects 6+ Month Out Strategy/Vision Time?
Watch the Replay – Planning An Epic Year: Make 2022 Your Best Year Yet!
My 3 Promises To You:
1) Gain insight into the biggest mindset shifts I made in 2021
2) Get full access to our updated planning templates
3) Craft a CLEAR 2022 strategic plan from start to finish…
Part 2 – Key Resources + Creating Your Plan
3 Key Resources In Our Lives
The common mistakes we often make
- We seek “new”, can then look to start new things / innovate outside of the primary business that got us where we are
- Continually optimize for $ metrics, but rarely optimize for energy, freedom, or impact… which causes burn out
- We think “I’m a starter, I don’t like running things” (which may be true) and think the best way out of this job we don’t like anymore is by creating a new one (vs. reinventing our existing one)
- We think too short-term to keep the business operating in the day to day, but rarely pull up to think long-term
- We aren’t clear on our vision… so we run out of runway
Starting Your Personal Plan For 2022
Before you begin… grab My Free Annual Personal Planning Template
About every 4-6 months I hit a wall… I’ll often find myself thinking stuff like…
Next, start thinking about this “how do I define success?” Is it a career that exceeds expectations, lots of money, or bigger toys? Or, is it an abundance of family time, getting into shape and health, or relaxing and enjoying life?
There are five essential elements to include in your planning to be a complete success. You can certainly be successful in one or more areas, but strive to have high scores on all six to be a complete success. Try this little test…
Take This Quick Test of the 7 “F’s”. Write Down a Score of 1 – 5 (5 Being You’re Crushing It)
So how do these seven F’s play into becoming a complete success? As we set goals and strive for success in our lives, our goals should fit into one or more of these areas.
Having goals that will better each of these areas of your life. They will enrich your entire life and help you to achieve the success you desire.
The next obstacle you need to hurdle is how you view urgency.
Starting Your Business Goals For 2022
Everything you “focus” on in 2022 takes your mental energy and physical time.
If you start and stop and spread yourself around…
Now, Since We Only Have One Go Around… … are you using your time wisely while you have it?
Before you can plan 2022… you have to have a clear vision for what you’re building and why.
Paint an exciting and clear picture… 3 Year Vision Template
Now let’s set goals for 2022
GR: Setting Key Annual Goals
O: What are the best Options to hit the goals?
W: What Will You Do In 2022? Creating Your Macro Plan
W: List Out Your Quarterly Initiatives
My “Planning Stack”
- Each Year… review your 3+ year vision. Are you on track? Still clear? Still exciting? What’s important for the next year?
- Each Quarter… review your annual plan and create your plan for the quarter
- Each Month… review your quarterly objectives and goals/scorecards for your monthly plan
- Each Week… review your monthly plan, scorecards, and craft your “top 5 commitments”
- Each Day… review your top 5 weekly commits and craft your focus for the day
- Focus on buying back your time while the energy and health is still there
- Don’t fall into the “if I hit this goal then I’ll [insert desire]” trap… the work IS THE REWARD.
- Think on longer time horizons and get clarity on your vision 3 years out
- Create “gaps” personally and in business but measure yourself on your progress / gain (this creates fulfillment and joy)
- Create magical moments more often and more intently, they extend the life in the years we live